Friday, February 25, 2011

For Neda


I had the amazing opportunity yesterday to meet highly esteemed journalist and wonderful human being Saeed Kamali Dehghan at the Emory University Center for Ethics screening ofthe award winning film, For Neda. This film tells the story of an Iranian woman named Neda Agha-Soltan who was tragically killed by a government sniper's bullet during peaceful election protests in Iran on June 20, 2009. The shooting was captured on several camera phones and within moments went viral all over the globe and became the face and international symbol of the struggle of the Iranian people for freedom and justice. Neda's story, as told through the heroic journalism of Saeed Kamali Dehghan, was extremely moving to me as I reflected on the perseverance of the human spirit in the face of death and even beyond death.
Though I did not know Neda I know that she is my sister. I am truly inspired and I hold her name in thought and prayer as I try to order my life in a way that honors her memory. Much respect to Saeed for his courage and hard work in making this film possible. Do check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment